I am not a serious quilter, but I do on occasion like to make little quilts for wall decoration. Being that Halloween is just around the corner, I thought it would be fun to see what I could make from my left-over fabric scraps. My goal was to create something interesting using only things that I had on-hand… without making additional purchases!
After sorting through my stash, I came up with this collection of possibilities.
Considering overall design, scale, color, etc., with size of pieces available, I selected the jack-o-latern motif fabric as the center-piece with coordinating strips for the sides to be sewn in a log cabin pattern.
After assembling the pieces, I hand basted the decorative block to a piece of muslin to give added support for the embellishment to come.
Then it was into the embroidering hoop for adding decorative features.
I began by placing small orange and black beads on the bottom and top sections. They are a little small and tend to get lost, in the photos I taken, but show quite well when examining the piece in person.
Next I added cross stitches and French knots to the skeleton fabric.
And lastly, I finished up with orange and green primitive stitches on the last side piece.
I added a black border and chalked in guide lines for more primitive stitching to be added.
Once the decorative block was embellish, I layered it over cotton batting and an orange contrasting fabric.
All additional stitching, such as the outlining on the jack-o-latern and more French knots were sewn through all layers to secure the sandwiched pieces.
After all the embellishing, I trimmed the excess fabric away and machine stitched the bias binding, also made from scraps, to the outside edge of the piece.
The binding was applied to the front and then wrapped around to the back side and hand basted into position for a final stitching down.
Special attention was paid to the mitered corners to help create nice and neat finished look.
With matching thread, I used teeny tiny stitches to secure the binding and corners into position.
After the binding was completed, I pressed it lightly. If desired, small plastic rings may be sewn in the top corners for hanging if desired.
This fun little project measures 12 1/2″ x 12 1/2″ and will be hanging in my work station between now and October 31st.
I hope you like it!