Taking Inspiration from Historic Costume
I’ve always had an interest in historic costume; I imagine most of us who sew share this interest, as studying past fashions can provide endless inspiration for contemporary designs. I recently came across a collection of charming illustrations of British children’s costumes from the 18th and 19th century that I wanted to share with my friends in Sewville. I adore these and plan to frame a set to hang in my sewing room… they are so sweet. I’ve put a couple up in my RemnantWorks Etsy shop and will be adding more as I have the time.
Glad to See You!
Sometimes when I’m in the middle of an art project, my studio looks like a tornado passed through.
Drawers and cupboards fall open, materials and tools are scattered all about the room and I groan thinking about having to put it all away at some point.
Today, quite unplanned, I decided to make a wall hanging for one of my boys as a Christmas gift (hopefully, he won’t be reading this blog entry). He had a little dog named Frank who was very sweet. I wanted to make a reminder of Frank for his wall. Using what I had on hand, I sorted through the scraps of brown fabric from past projects. I selected five basic colors and began snipping and fusing.
It didn’t take long and I had enough to cut out the body. I made a little flap for the ear and outlined it in black for definition, added a little red color, a little eye peeking out from under the ear flap and a little black tip for the nose. Once that was done, I was ready to try different backgrounds. My preference was for the green background, but one of my boys thought his brother would like the white better, so I followed his advice.
Next I cut out the pooch’s name in my very best cursive writing… cutting letter is a little tedious, but the result is usually worth the time and care it takes.
I then found a piece of leftover batting I had used on a long ago quilt project and used that to add some loft in between the front and back pieces. As luck would have it, I found a cute piece for the backing from my fabric stash that coordinated nicely with the front design. I sandwiched the three pieces together leaving an extra one inch border of the back fabric to fold up around the outside to finish the edges. The I stitched around the dog and on the name for a little added definition.
Here is my finished piece… I hope he likes it. I do! It looks especially good sitting on my red table runner. Hmm…