Creating A Unique CHANEL-style trim
Last year I made my first Chanel-style jacket. Finding a suitable trim, a hallmark of a Chanel, proved to be challenging. I decided to try making my own.
I began with a skein of ribbon yarn and number 9 knitting needles. Four stitches provided a nice width and using a basic stockinette stitch I created a long strip. Stockinette stitches tend to curl at the edges which works to advantage for hiding hand stitching when applying the trim to the garment.
Creating a trim from ribbon yarn
I would recommend making individual strips for each pocket and a continuous length for the center front and neckline. By doing this it will reduce the chance of the trim unraveling at the edges during application and can more easily be tucked in at seam lines or pocket edges. Otherwise, apply Fray Check or a fabric glue to secure the edges.
Once the trim is completed it can be attached by hand-stitching into position along the pockets, center front,neckline and sleeve edges.
trim applied to sleeve edge
Applying Braided Trim Tutorial
I’ve been working for the past week or so on a Chanel-style jacket to go with the skirt I made recently. I studied Vogue designer Claire Shaeffer’s pattern with the wonderful couture details, but decided instead to use the much simplified Vogue 7975 which has the Chanel look without all the extra work. I thought for my first effort at making a Chanel jacket choosing the easier pattern might be the best option.
I used the same fuchsia boucle that I used in the skirt I made recently; I’m thinking Spring suit. Easter comes early this year and the prospect of shivering in the cold made a wool suit seem like practical, if not entirely seasonal, option. Finding a suitable trim proved to be a challenge. I began with one that unfortunately didn’t provide the look I wanted bringing about a full scale city-wide search for the perfect Chanel braid. I lucked out by finding this particular piece in the home decorating department of Fabric Depot on a clearance rack. Clearance is good as it takes in excess of 5 yards of braid to complete the jacket.
After studying the pattern, I decided that I preferred the look of two square pockets on each side as shown in Vogue 8804, so had to make size and placement determinations. I interfaced each pocket square and then pressed the 1 inch pocket facing. Before stitching the facing in place, I determined trim placement taking care to pre-shrink the trim first. Some trims stretch out quite a bit from being stored on cards or spools; a good shot of steam will draw up the slack and avoid unwanted puckering.
Using a basting stitch, I attached the braid to the pocket and then permanently attached it using two rows of back stitching.
After securing the braid into position, I completed all four pockets and hand stitched them into position on the jacket front. Lining them up was a little tricky, but after measuring like a Turkish tailor, I finally got it.
I decided not to apply braid around the bottom of the jacket, because I had made the longer version and preferred not to draw the eye to the hip line. If I were to make the shorter view, I would definitely put braid all the way around. To my surprise, this jacket has no shoulder pads and wears more like a sweater than a jacket. I also want to experiment with the sleeves, I really like the braid on Claire Shaeffer’s vented sleeve and will be experimenting with adding a vent to the basic design sleeve pattern… the next time I’m feeling adventurous.
I highly recommend this pattern and intend to make it again.