Blogging has been really good for me; I’ve completed so many set aside projects that might have otherwise been relegated to the bottom of the “unfinished projects” bin had it not been that I needed something to write about. This jacket definitely falls into that category. I began it at least two summers ago and got it up to the final sleeve before hitting a road block. I thought about finishing it many times, but I think the fact that I didn’t have any pants to wear with it was part of why I never followed through. Recently I found a nice rayon, that while not a perfect match, complements the jacket quite well.
The jacket is made of a laundered shimmery rayon suiting and accented with the most beautiful silvery-green iridescent Vietnamese Silk. I treasured this piece of silk and held it for a long time before deciding to cut into it. I don’t often see this kind of silk; it’s a rare treat to work with. The front is faced with washed duppioni silk and I used a metal button with a Celtic knot motif for a cultural paradigm twist. Seams are a modified lap which, if I were making again would have been done in French seams (my new favorite technique).
It really didn’t take much to finish up the jacket and I’m quite pleased with the result.
What does every girl need to make her birthday complete?
Why a crown, of course!
Happy Birthday Esme!
My neighbor from across the street turned four years old today and in honor of the occasion, I decided to make her a birthday crown. I stopped by the fabric store and picked up some pink (of course?!) felt. I decided I should go through my vast button and trim collection that I already had on-hand at home to complete the project so I resisted making additional purchases… although I did spend quite a bit of time looking at ribbons, feathers and jewels.
When I began the project I wasn’t quite sure about how large to make the crown base, so I conducted some online research where I discovered that an average 4 year old’s head measures 19 to 20 inches in circumference. You gotta love the internet!
I then searched on princess crown patterns and found some printable patterns; with that, my project was underway. I tried a variety of combinations before coming up with the final result. The design process fascinates me; It never fails to intrigue me how one tries this and that and this and that, until suddenly a combination stands out as being “just right.” What exactly makes it “just right” is hard to quantify, and that is the magic of designing, I suppose.
The crown is made of two layers of felt sewn together at the edges. Decorative trims and buttons are then applied. Soft elastic covered in a fabric sleeve at the back provides wearing ease.
close-up of applied trims and buttons
back elastic application
Her sweet smile says success!