A New Jacket For Springtime
Generally I don’t use Kwick Sew patterns much, not for any particular reason, I just am not that familiar with them. Earlier this week while at the pattern counter in my local fabric store a helpful clerk thrust the latest Kwik Sew book into my hands and was insistent that I look, so I did. I don’t know if this is a new pattern or an older one, but I liked the look of and am happy to say it’s a breeze to sew with. It couldn’t have been easier to put together and it fits nicely.
The fabric you see is the photo is a great piece of linen I bought four or five years ago. At the same time, I also purchased a yard of the striped fabric not knowing exactly how I would use it, but it picked up the colors in the main fabric well and I figured it would come in handy.
I’m not a huge fan of the deep angled line on the front opening, so I adjusted that to be more traditional. I also decided to apply simplified techniques I learned when sewing with Vogue American Designer, Adri. For those of you who may not know of her, she uses simple elegant finishing techniques that are perfect for unlined linen garments. I eliminated the two front facings in favor of the bias bound edge and used French seaming techniques for all the seam to add to the clean look of the interior.
I removed 5/8 inch seam allowance (except for the hemline) around the entire jacked and applied the bias binding made from the striped fabric around the raw edges mitering at the corners.
Because I eliminated the facing I had to add some stabilizer for the button and that was done by sewing a small interfaced square to the inside of the left side of the jacket front.
I was pleasantly surprised by how compatible the pattern was to the fabric. They both have a bit of an Asian feel and I hadn’t really noticed that about the pattern until it was completed. I’m thinking maybe I’ll make another in solid black.