Work in progress
It’s been awhile since I’ve posted. I have not stopped sewing, but my attention has turned to fabric art; I’m involved in a complex project that is taking up my creative time and energy. It’s been awhile since I’ve worked on a serious piece of fabric art and I’m excited about the breakthrough.
I don’t like to show incomplete work for two reasons, the first being that it has the potential of causing me to lose steam and I fear that I might not finish it and secondly, I don’t really like my work to be judged or appraised before it’s done.
The most interesting blog entries have a considerable visual component, with that in mind, I have decided to break my own rule and publish a small portion of the project. I do, however, feel compelled to say that it’s not yet finished…
Anyone care to identify this famous personage? The clues are evident.
Congrats to Pink Sister for correctly identifying this piece… she knows her art history!
Tribeca Jacket Revisited
I made my first Tribeca jacket from the Sewing Workshop Collection (they call it a shirt) several years ago and was never quite satisfied with the fit. I loved the fabric and was happy with my technical work, but I think possibly because I generally prefer more structured clothing that I always felt a little swamped or sloppy in it. The interesting thing was that whenever I wore it, without fail, I received compliments on it from friends and strangers alike. It got so much positive feedback that I finally decided, what the hey, maybe I should accept what the universe was telling me and decide to like it after all.
For reasons, which are now lost to me, I decided to line my first effort with a gold and black fabric; it was designed to be unlined but creating a lining was not difficult only more time-consuming to complete. I finished the interior seams by turning under the raw edges and stitching down. The lining gave the jacket enough warmth for fall and winter wearing.
I applied a contrasting duppioni silk bias trim by hand (a true test of patience, for sure). The patches for buttonholes were also completed in this same gorgeous golden-colored silk.
I have a piece of fabulous linen that I’ve been aging for quite some time. I love the rich color and its unusual sheen. I have considered it for various patterns on many occasions over the years, but have always been reluctant to cut into it. This week I decided it was time. Here is the happy result.
The linen is unlined and finished with French seams. The pieces went together very quick and easily. The sleeves are set in with a French seam finish which is an unusual but very tidy application. The inside looks as great as the outside. I decided to leave the patches and buttons off (at least for now) and just let it drape open. I love the result and will definitely make this again.